Friday, April 8, 2011

Avoiding the Compositional Vacuum

Sarah’s last post had me reflecting for a long time about the balancing act that composers have to pull off on a regular basis. Somehow we have to compartmentalize parts of our life in order to be productive and energized for the moments (insert the Hallelujah chorus here) when we actually find the time and space to sit down and work on our music. 

For me, though, it’s not just about finding the time, it’s also about the people involved. I used to compose music on a regular basis without much feedback or without anybody particularly in mind. However, since going to school for composition and experiencing the dramatic increase in learning that happens when you actually hear your music realized, I now have trouble getting excited about projects that aren’t going to be performed. There is possibly nothing worse for a composer than composing in a vacuum. 

I suppose this is probably an obvious statement for some, but I have found that if I have no idea who is going to perform my piece or if I have no idea if my piece will ever actually be realized at all, it’s really, really hard for me to write, no matter how energized I am or how much time I have. I had this problem with one or two pieces last year and eventually I just ended up putting the pieces aside because the whole process was too frustrating. Maybe I’ll come back to them at some point if I see a more practical opportunity in the future, but for now I want to focus on projects where the feedback will be more immediate.

The most productive moments I’ve had in my time off from school have been spent on projects where I was either actively collaborating with another artist, writing pieces for specific performers who offered me feedback and advice, or composing a piece for the choir that I sing with. With this last situation, not only was I able to attend rehearsals, but I was also able to realize the music with them. I have noticed that when you’re bouncing ideas off of other people and receiving feedback, finding the time to compose all of a sudden has less to do with physical time and more to do with the energy that you have for it.

A common theme that has been an undercurrent of many of our posts is that composing is, probably unsurprisingly, a difficult and complex path to pursue. Finding the time to compose and to compose effectively, regardless of the people involved, is a challenge and probably always will be. But I think it makes it so much easier when you have a community of support made up both of non-musicians and musicians. I remember a composition teacher saying to me once, “Every composer needs an advocate,” emphasizing the importance of a mentor or cheerleader in a composer’s life. I completely agree with this, and I think the statement can be reduced to an even more basic idea: Every composer needs feedback. Because the act of composing is an individual (sometimes isolated!), artistic, and usually non-commercial endeavor, composers desperately need outside feedback—from performers, teachers and/or colleagues, and non-musicians—in order to write more and to write effectively.

So I guess my best suggestion for getting a leg up on the issue of finding time to compose, especially when there is little physical time available, is to find ways to get energized for the time that you do have for composing. Some possible ways that have worked for me: share drafts with performers, other composers, or non-musicians for feedback; write something that you can be a part of in some fashion, no matter how big or small the role; and do your best to build a positive and supportive community for yourself of performers, friends, teachers, and colleagues who will take you seriously and make you excited about what you’re doing. Another thing that really energizes me is actually sitting down and listening to other people’s music. It does take time, but, again, I think it’s time well-spent that actually pays off and gives you more focused time in the long run.

And a kind of silly, but oh-so-helpful tip that helps me to sit down and focus? Before composing, I always—without fail—make myself a soothing, caffeinated cup of tea! 

Anyway, these are things that I know work for me.  If others have suggestions (serious and/or silly) for how to more effectively balance your time and get focused, please post them below!    

Posted by Natalie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,

    For me, your post really hits the discussion on the head about balancing life as a composer. A large part of the struggle as a young composer is about finding the physical time, but finding the energy through feedback and purpose (i.e. feeling like the inspiration and perspiration of composing is actually contributing something to my life and hopefully, to other's lives, too!) can really make or break the physical time I DO find.

    I suppose I don't have anything new to add to your post, but I wanted to thank you and Sarah for your thoughts and discussion on Alphabet Soup. It has become an important part of finding (and keeping) my professional balance. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte,

    Thanks for your kind post and for keeping up with the blog! I'm so glad you find it helpful.

    Your point about wanting composition to contribute something to your life and to other people's lives is incredibly true. Sarah and I are hoping to dig a little more into that specific topic soon. I think that it's important to avoid the vacuum not only for your own productivity, but also so that you can feel in a tangible way that what you're doing is contributing to society and is not an isolated (or perhaps some would say "selfish") endeavor. As composers, many of us do WANT to be a part of the give and take of society, even if what we're doing doesn't fit regularly into the market system!

    More soon...

    Cheers,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete