Thursday, May 26, 2011

Enticing the Artsy Audience

In our recent discussions about the orchestra, we've been spending a lot of time talking about the audience, and how to get new demographics to the orchestra (and to new music concerts). I have a new question: why does it seem that it's cool to like new art, film, theater and dance, but not necessarily new music?

Let's use New York City as an example. In New York, it would be totally normal (in certain circles) for people who are not artists, filmmakers, dancers, or theater people to go to a really weird new film, play, dance performance, or art gallery opening. For some reason, though, the majority of people at new music concerts are almost always composers. Of course there are many people who shun contemporary art, film, theater, etc., just as much as they shun new music. I'm also sure that many people who go to gallery openings and events of that nature are artists. But it seems to me that somehow, other contemporary arts have crossed, if not into the mainstream, then at least into the mainstream for a certain demographic of people, while new music still seems to only appeal to the people directly involved and invested in it. I once met someone who was not a musician or artist but enjoyed new music and went to concerts (and was not a friend, relative or significant other of a musician)- and I was astonished. I don't think I've ever met someone like him before or since. And it's not that my non-musician friends who I've invited (dragged?) to new music concerts haven't enjoyed them- I think they have (unless they lied to me)! But I don't think any of them would ever go back without me or on their own initiative. And yet many of my friends regularly attend art museums, go to non-mainstream films, etc. (and no, they're not artists or filmmakers either).

Natalie's recent post of an article about the Cincinnati orchestra made me wonder how much of it has to do with money. Are ticket sales up in Cincinnati because they're cheap? Or because people are suddenly interested in going to hear the orchestra (or for any number of other non-economic reasons?) On the other hand, it can't strictly be about money because most new music concerts I know of are free or very cheap. Seeing a movie is generally more expensive than going to a new music concert, but that's clearly not a problem for most people. But, orchestra tickets are generally more expensive than going to a movie- so is it the allure of a deal? Of paying $10 for a $30- $100 ticket? Speaking of deals, what if a coupon service like Living Social or Groupon partnered with a major orchestra or performing arts venue. Would people buy the deal simply because it's a deal? Or because if Living Social says it is, it must be something worth trying?

But back to my jealousy of the other arts for seemingly garnering more attention than contemporary music. At school, we often discussed how it seemed strange that the other art students on campus never attended our concerts (just as we never attended their events), even though it would have been really easy to do so. We ask why people don't come to our concerts- but maybe we should first wonder why we can't even get people who have already expressed an interest in contemporary art to come to our concerts. Maybe they should be our first target audience, instead of the general public.

I know, I know, musicians often collaborate with other artists and we hold concerts in galleries and write music for plays, etc. And I suppose these events lend themselves to other artsy types participating, so that's one way of targeting the artist audience. I also know that I am just as guilty- I can't remember the last time I went to an art gallery or a new play. Maybe all composers are just like me, and the other artists don't come to our concerts because they've realized we never attend their events (and why is that? Something else to ponder.). But I still don't know how to entice the non-musician, non-artist who attends other art events to come to new music concerts. Is it marketing? Money? Interest? The fact that you can talk (and usually drink and eat) at an art gallery opening (although you definitely can't eat at a museum)? But you can't talk or eat/drink at a movie or play! And I've been to scores of new music concerts where there is plenty of alcohol available, so it can't be that, either. What are we missing?

Posted by Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment