Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Demystifying the Composer

Our culture has a long tradition of having a deep love/hate relationship with artists of all types. It often seems that the composer, be him idolized or scorned, is very rarely taken seriously as a normal human. Moreover, people will sometimes create a compositional mystique by encouraging stereotypes, being Romantic or evasive about the creative process, etc. Unfortunately, none of these behaviors do any of us any favors. I think it’s incredibly important for all of us to remember, if we don’t already, that the composer is—gasp—a working human who has flaws.

I'm going to share two anecdotes of ways in which composers and/or authority figures unnecessarily create some sort of composer “mystique.” I will then explain why I think these anecdotes offer examples of why such a mystique is fundamentally detrimental to the compositional process.

Anecdote #1: Several years ago I knew a certain authority figure (who shall remain nameless and genderless) who made a statement to a group of composers that they (and I’m paraphrasing) “would have no respect for a composer who would move a passage up the octave at an orchestra reading, upon realizing that it didn’t ‘sound good’ in the range that it was originally written.” I can understand being critical of a composer who didn’t write something within the ranges of the instruments, but that didn’t seem to be the issue here. This authority figure went on to suggest that composers should hear the music in the timbre of that specific instrument in that specific octave from the get-go. To this person, such an experiment of moving something around was only a display of some sort of artistic or “inner-ear” weakness.

First of all this is just rubbish coming from an authority figure. This person’s statement falls way too easily into the Romanticized notion of the composer as some sort of godlike being who should have an innate sense of music dating back to his/her time in the womb. Furthermore, it is a detrimental thing to say to young composers who want to learn and want to experiment. Composers make mistakes and composers have to learn. As my teacher once pointed out to me, moving a passage up an octave or even five octaves can sometimes be incredibly revelatory. How else are we supposed to develop an “inner ear” if we’re not even allowed to experiment without feeling that we will lose somebody’s respect? What a paralyzing statement!

Anecdote #2: This is more a situational thing, rather than a specific anecdote, but often you will hear composers (authority figures and peers) speak disparagingly about MIDI software and notation programs. I'm not referring to complaints about the piano patch sounding hollow or the saxophone sounding like a dying duck (I've made those statements myself and I greatly appreciate and understand these kind of complaints). What I'm referring to here is when people suggest that using MIDI is, again, some kind of artistic weakness. People will sometimes go so far as to suggest that if you use the software to compose that you are inherently a bad composer.

But as a composer aptly pointed out to me recently, “bad composers will use notation software as a crutch, good composers will use it as a tool.” Many composers for centuries have been using the piano to find their chords and to work out their compositions. Is that somehow better because it is an acoustic instrument and not a machine? I also once heard a professional composer admit that he’d written at least a couple pieces that he could not have conceived of without the playback from a notation program. How refreshing! At the end of the day, if it’s good music that people can learn from and enjoy, who cares what tools you used to make it? Are you really going to scorn a writer who uses a laptop instead of ink and a quill? Assuming that composers don’t experiment or don’t need tools to make their work just sets up a mystique that can potentially paralyze young composers.

Feel free to comment with your own stories regarding the unhelpful composer mystique below. This post falls under a new label of "composers anonymous," as I have found that it's necessary to write some of these stories out as my own form of therapy. It's nice to get rid of all of the unhelpful compositional and artistic baggage that we accumulate over the years!

Posted by Natalie

7 comments:

  1. I just have to comment on the MIDI situation. While I completely agree that it can be a fantastic tool, I think if a composer isn't vigilant about keeping the timbre and physical nature of their performers in mind they run into trouble really quickly. I've received many scores with unrealistic rhythms and tempi because the computer can do it and the composer didn't stop to think if I could. The same problem applies for piano and pen/paper, but I think it is often amplified when physicality is completely removed from the composition process (ie pushing a play button). MIDI playback can absolutely condition the ear to have unrealistic expectations of clarity and agility.

    It's completely unfair when people alienate young composers in their learning process, but I have to agree with a strong word of caution when it comes to MIDI and composition software.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insideways,

    I'm so glad you posted this. I completely agree. No matter what tools we use, as composers we still need to at least try to imagine, visualize, and play out sections before expecting our performers to be able to perform our music. Otherwise, as you say, we run the risk of expecting some sort of superhuman, acoustic Nancarrow-esque player-piano style that's just not possible! And MIDI is particularly bad in this respect since it gives composers a really easy way to hear rhythms, whether they are feasible or not.

    Anyway, thanks so much for adding your thoughts!

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another comment on the issue of MIDI, though unrelated to what you two are talking about: While we've all had the experience of listening to horrible MIDI sounds and feeling that a piece is being represented very poorly, sometimes MIDI is the only way we can share our work, at least initially. When I first finish a piece, if I want to play it for someone the only tool I have at my disposal is MIDI- I don't have the resources to hire performers to instantly make a recording. And how many people do? I'm baffled by those who scorn MIDI so much that they would rather not listen to a piece at all than subject themselves to a MIDI rendering. There is another way to get to know a piece without listening to a MIDI file- just look at the score! Sometimes MIDI is all we have, and while it's not great, it's at least a representation of your piece. Combined with a score, it's the best way to share your work before you have the benefit of a real recording.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post as always! I'd follow up on Sarah's comments on people's attitude toward MIDI - I sometimes wonder if it's primarily macho posturing when complaining about MIDI, but that's a whole other discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Adam! Yes macho posturing is undoubtedly a component...and is a whole other discussion that we'll have to have sometime soon!

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie,
    I just saw a news story today that was EXACTLY like this. A composition professor from Julliard was talking about composition in a totally romanticized and unscientific way. I wanted to barf. You can check it out here:

    http://perezitos.com/2011-11-13-bluejay-is-a-crazy-awesome-12-year-old-music-prodigy-video/?from=PH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, and thank you for sharing this. I was searching the web for information. I'm a singer-songwriter, play piano. My issue is, even after years of playing/recording professionally, when I am playing/singing, & composing/recording, I invariably fall into this.. I'm in the middle of it all, & I go completely blank, lose my place, & timing. This is when it's only me, singin, & playin piano. It's VERY frustrating. Aside from using the ole metronome, Shouldn't this kind of thing NOT happen??
    Sincerely,
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete