Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Stereotype Threat: As Applied to Music

Every time I read articles about the gender disparity in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math), I immediately apply everything I'm reading to music, particularly our little field of composition. This story from NPR about "stereotype threat" seemed very relevant to me and I couldn't help thinking it goes on in music all the time. The gist of it is that when women think about the stereotype of women not being as good as men in the STEM fields (or composition), they actually sound less competent when talking about their work because they're using brainpower worrying about the stereotype. But you should read (or listen to) the full article to get the whole (very interesting) explanation about the study. The conclusion of the scientists who conducted the study: "In order to boost the numbers of women who choose to go into those fields, you have to boost the number of women who are in those fields."

I completely identified with the women in this study. I kept reading lines and nodding, having had those feelings. It's not that I don't think I'm as good a composer as my male colleagues, or that I'm not as smart as them, etc. It's that when I was in grad school (and sometimes still, but it's a lot easier to forget about the stereotypes when they're not staring you in the face all the time) I constantly saw that I was one of only a few women in the composition department, on recital programs, in music classes. Not to mention the token women mentioned in textbooks and represented on recordings and concerts in the real world.

But we've talked about the numbers before. What I never thought about before is how I often became tongue-tied when talking to male colleagues and professors about music but could easily converse intelligently with them about my weekend plans, family, or whatever else you discuss in casual conversation. And I'm exaggerating a little here. It's not that I couldn't speak intelligently about music with men. And I was completely fine when left to my own devices while writing a paper, for example. But as I was reading the article, all these memories came flooding back about sitting in a class or lesson worrying that I sounded stupid, or feeling that I couldn't articulate clearly what I wanted to say, but being much more comfortable and at ease talking about any other topic. In case you're reading this before you read the article- it has nothing to do with anyone making me feel bad or anyone thinking they're better at composing than I am- it has to do with the prevailing stereotype. Whether the men I was speaking with believed the stereotype or not, and I assume most of them didn't, it didn't matter, because I was still (subconsciously) worried about it. But one reason I loved this article is that it made very clear that the research "does not imply that the gender disparity in science and math fields is all 'in women's heads.' The problem isn't with women, [one of the researchers] said. The problem is with the stereotype."

(Unfortunately, I can't comment on my ease in discussing music with other women during grad school because there were so few of us. I can't remember any issues in particular, but that's probably because conversations with other women didn't happen as frequently.)

I'm sure that some of these memories are a little biased right after reading this article... or at least I hope they are. But one memory that I have very, very clearly from grad school is the constant fear of appearing stupid. I'm not even talking about trying to prove myself- that was there too, of course, but the baseline of not appearing stupid was much more in the forefront of my mind (I was also one of the youngest composers in the program, which probably also didn't help). I know that everyone feels this way sometimes. But do we all feel that way to the same extent? Do women feel it more strongly because we're worried about the already existing stereotype of us not being composers in as large numbers as men? I don't know. But I'd love to replicate this study with composers instead of scientists.

Posted by Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Sarah, I have definitely felt (and often feel...especially when I'm in school) this way, as well.

    I've noticed in my own composing that I am much more relaxed over the summer than I am when I'm in school. I waste less time thinking on meta levels about the process, about what people think of me, and about my own abilities. And of course, this is probably true, to some degree, for both genders, but I think women have a lot extra to think about when dealing with a stereotype threat. I worry sometimes about the most inane things...like whether or not I should wear my glasses and dress conservatively so that people will take me seriously (and yes, I have noticed a difference).

    When away from the stereotype threat environments, I often feel strong and confident. I'm getting better at feeling confident year-round, to be sure, but it's certainly easier when I feel that I am in a "safe" environment.

    I think whenever people feel that they are under scrutiny for whatever reason, they're likely to be distracted and less on their A-game, so to speak. I have never been one to enjoy being under scrutiny, which is probably a large part of why I became much more interested in the behind-the-scenes aspects of music than the performance side. I even notice a (thankfully slight) difference in my confidence as a teacher when I am being observed by my boss than when I am on my own with the students. I'm likely to use a few more space fillers "um, uh, etc." than I ever do when things are in my own control at the front of the class. In this situation, a few space fillers hardly matter, as I love the subject and love working with the students. But feeling under scrutiny can be more difficult (and sometimes paralyzing) when one feels scrutinized in something as personal as composition, especially with a stereotype threat involved.

    It's true that this kind of pressure can energize some personalities, but that is not true for everyone. I've recently been reading Susan Cain's book Quiet about introverts and how they are undervalued and misunderstood in American culture. This may not be directly related to your post, but I think that introverts are much more likely to be "in their own heads" and if something like a stereotype threat exists, it may be more devastating to an introverted personality than to an extroverted one.

    I'm sure there are some who would say, "Well, survival of the fittest," but studies show that introverts have as much to offer as extroverts (if not, sometimes, more), and it's disconcerting that something like a stereotype threat might make certain personality types drop out of composition. Such a loss is a loss not just for that individual, but also for our community at large.

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie- thank you for your comment! I think the example of teaching when being observed is exactly right. And anyone who has ever taught can probably relate to that. (And I had the same experience with moving away from performance!)

    I'm going to have to read "Quiet" - it sounds really interesting. I think it does relate to the post- while I just clarified that the research was not trying to imply that the problem is "in our own heads," it does make perfect sense that an introvert might feel even more threatened by stereotype threat than someone more extroverted.

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes--definitely an important distinction between the two uses of "in one's head." This problem is definitely real and not just "in one's head," however the internal, psychological distractions that this problem creates are both "real" and "in one's head"! :)

    Quiet is fantastic. Here's a link to Susan Cain's TED talk, which is sort of a preview/summary of what the book is about: http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. And one more link. This time it's an article about paranoia in grad school, with some details on how it can be worse for women in fields where there aren't many women: http://chronicle.com/article/Paranoid-You-Must-Be-a-Grad/127235/

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete