Friday, July 1, 2011

Competitions Behaving Badly

One of my pet peeves, as someone who fairly frequently enters composition contests, is the professionalism and respect that some of these competition organizers seem to lack.

I recently was made aware of the results of two competitions I had entered over the last few months, and the stark contrast between the two made me mad. I even sent an email praising the application process to the organizers of the first competition after I entered because they tried so hard to have each applicant remain anonymous (they even wanted the bios to be anonymous, which is somewhat impossible but a valiant effort nonetheless, as it makes it more likely that compositions will be selected based on merit alone). Some other great competitions email you to inform you that they have received your application and sometimes even include the date of when they will make decisions (and these are usually the same ones that send timely notifications of the results). The best competitions send semi-personalized rejection (or acceptance) emails in addition to the larger announcement, as opposed to the ones that merely send a mass email with the winners to inform you that you haven’t won, although that is far better than no notification whatsoever.

These competitions are all professional, respectful, and a pleasure to enter (as much as it can ever be a pleasure to enter a competition). The fact that they take the time to let me know what’s going on indicates to me that they value the time I spent putting together an application (not to mention the time it took to write the piece!), and therefore take me seriously as a composer. People who take the time to send rejection notifications, whether it is for a competition you didn’t win or a job you didn’t get, are usually good people. They care to let you know that you didn’t make it (and sometimes even feel quite bad about it!), instead of letting you just wonder and eventually find out from someone else, or not at all.

So now that I’ve praised many of the great competitions I’ve entered, here are some common transgressions I have noticed in not-so-great competitions:
  • Neglecting to send out notifications of any kind to the people who were not selected (some competitions don’t send rejections, but they at least notify you that someone else won).
  • Neglecting to return scores/parts/other materials, even if (and especially if) you have mailed in a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
  • Inviting you to apply to their next round of the competition, even though they never informed you of the results of the previous round (especially if there are application fees- why would I pump more money into an organization when there's no indication they did anything with it the first time around?).
  • Neglecting to select a winner if they did not make it clear in the application announcement that they reserved this right (this was the subject of much discussion (and anger) on the Society of Composers, Inc. email list-serv recently, and I may address this further in a future blog post to give the topic its due).  
  • Selecting a disproportionate number of male composers as winners (as I have written about extensively on this blog). While this is a slightly different issue, I think it is important to bring up now and then to remind everyone that it exists.

These behaviors are bad enough, but they are so much worse when accompanied by an application fee (which Natalie has written about previously). Application fees magnify the poor behaviors, making them ten (or a hundred, or a thousand) times more unprofessional and disrespectful. Now, there are valid arguments both for and against application fees, and I am not here to argue either side right now. But if an organization charges an application fee to enter a competition, the least the organizers can do is be respectful of applicants' time and work, and that means conducting themselves with the utmost professionalism.

A fee says to me, “I am a professional competition (not that the ones without fees are unprofessional, in fact I like those much better, but read on). If I was not a professional competition, I would not even dream of charging a fee, because that would be unfair to the applicants. Charging a fee implies that I know how to manage money, that I will properly steward this money, that I have staff members and separate bank accounts and accountants and proper IRS status and all those other things that make it professional and acceptable to charge fees. Finally, there must be a reason I am charging this fee. I must be paying staff members, judges, funding a concert- something related to the competition, hopefully. And I really should disclose to applicants what their fee is being used for- if they are donating to support the general operating expenses of my organization, that's very different than helping compensate the judges. Whatever it is, they should be aware of what their money is going toward so they can decide whether they really want to donate- excuse me, apply- in the first place. Applicants should not be donors, unless they choose to be.

Charging me a fee and then being too disorganized to notify me of the results or mail back my materials just adds insult to injury. Still, regardless of whether there is an application fee involved, any of the above-mentioned behaviors are simply unacceptable, and the new music community should not stand for them. When I apply for a competition and never hear from the organizers again, it seems that applying was a colossal waste of time (and perhaps money).

You might think I’m complaining about being rejected. I’m not- I got over that a long time ago. I have praised rejection letters in the past (mostly for jobs, but same idea). I’m complaining that I haven’t even heard that anyone else won. All I’m asking for is notification. And my scores back, minus coffee and pizza stains!

Having been on the other end of a "competition" (reviewing grant applications), I really do respect and understand the amount of time, energy, and money, as well as the long, arduous process, that goes into holding a competition and/or call for scores. In return, all I ask is that the organizations holding competitions respect my time, energy and occasional money that goes into applying for these competitions. Thank you.

Posted by Sarah

10 comments:

  1. I'm confused about your second paragraph. Anonymous bios? Why solicit bios at all if the goal is that "compositions will be selected based on merit alone?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefan,
    That's a good question- and I don't know the answer. Why does any competition solicit a bio, anonymous or not? If they are truly judging compositions based on merit alone, then there's no need for a bio. I'm curious what the competition organizers would say if asked. If I remember correctly, when I submitted to the particular competition I was referencing in my post, they were just asking for a bio with your name omitted (all other non-anonymous references to schools, teachers, etc. were allowed, which definitely defeats at least one of the purposes of having an "anonymous" bio). I vaguely remember an email response from the competition (since I asked what the heck this whole anonymous bio thing was about) that said they really couldn't tell who the people were who had submitted, although I'm sure it would have been pretty easy to figure out with some simple googling. I didn't say they succeeded in their quest for anonymity- I just applauded that they were even trying. I'll take a not-really-anonymous bio any day over a competition that claims to be unbiased but can see exactly who wrote each piece they're judging.

    Thanks for reading!

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it. I was just curious, since I've been through this kind of thing as well. I didn't have my first composition lesson until a few months ago, so my pet peeve has always been application forms which have a section to list your comp degrees and teachers. People have told me that this information is not considered, which again begs the question of why it is solicited in the first place.

    The one time I actually contacted a competition to make some suggestions, I ended up engaged in a lengthy (and cordial) email thread with the artistic director, who was, so he claimed, quite impressed with many of my suggestions and promised to implement several of them. This was a competition which had been around for years at the time, and I was fresh out of college and had never organized anything of the sort myself. You wonder sometimes where these people get their information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have been frustrated by applications that ask about your teachers- for instance, I am currently out of school and not studying with anyone, but I don't see what that has to do with whether or not I should be able to enter a competition (unless of course it's restricted to students). I have no way of knowing for sure whether these details are taken into account, but the cynical side of me says they must be, at least a little bit. (Think about this- is a new competition automatically perceived as more credible if their winners have previously won other prestigious competitions or gone to prestigious schools...?)

    I think it really depends on the competition and their goals. I hate being so cynical, and I'm sure that most competitions have the best of intentions. I'm sure some of them ask just for their own reporting purposes or curiosity, or so they already have the winner's bio on hand to immediately post on their website. Etc. But it would still be nice if these details were hidden until after the winning composition(s) had been selected!

    What kinds of suggestions did you give the artistic director? Do you know if any of them were implemented? I find that it's often much easier to make suggestions when you're on the outside, without knowing the specifics and complications of a particular system/organization. :) But I'm very curious to hear about your experience!

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ps. I just want to clarify one thing about my "cynical" comment- even if a competition does not intend to take our biographical details into account when selecting winners, how can they be certain that those details won't subconsciously affect their decisions in any way? The only way to be completely, 100% unbiased is with complete anonymity, until after winners are chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's possible that some of these competitions want to be specifically anonymous but also want to choose a composer who is serious to a certain degree (and a bio can be a good way, for better or worse, of determining that). For example, if the competition involves a commission for a new piece from the winning composer, the judges might have good reasons for wanting to find someone who has a solid background rather than someone who may have written only one very strong piece. Definitely a problematic (and incredibly subjective) situation, but at least such a situation comes with better intentions than some of the other, equally likely scenarios already discussed so far (and sadly, Sarah, I think you're probably being realistic more than cynical, although it's hard to know).

    --Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie, I think that's a really good point. I was thinking more about competitions where they're just selecting a piece to perform, or to give out an award for good work, and in those cases I don't think anything matters but the quality of the piece. But if an organization is planning on paying someone a lot of money for a commission, I would understand wanting to make sure not only that they're serious, but that they have the capability and experience to write a good piece for whatever the ensemble is.

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah,

    I'll bite, because it's Christmas break and I have time. I just combed the depths of my inbox and revisited the thread. I probably shouldn't name names, though some readers will be able to figure out the organization in question. (An irony among ironies in this conversation, no?)

    This was not actually a "composition competition" strictly speaking, but rather a summer residency program/institute. Along with the generic rejection was a surprisingly detailed letter from the artistic director to all rejected composers noting numerous ways to improve our submissions. The published application requirements had been few in number and vague in scope compared to this very detailed letter. And as if the very existence of the letter did not imply this, it was also made clear therein that these issues were reflected in a large number of the applications they had received that year.

    [My comment is too long for Blogger, so it continues below. When will they fix this?]

    ReplyDelete
  9. -Where the published requirements solicited jazz, chamber and full orchestra pieces alike, the letter stated that the program's emphasis was on full orchestra and big band music, and therefore that music for smaller ensembles was not ideal for inclusion in an application. I suggested that this be stated more baldly in the guidelines.

    -Another item was concerned with stylistic labels. Brass players call what this organization was after "commercial" playing/writing, but I suspect that's not a word that most people would understand in this way, nor one in any case that a musico-pedagogical organization of any kind would want to be seen pushing. (If that doesn't give away who this was, I don't know what would, but whatever.) So, they were understandably searching for the right way to frame what they were after. I tried to help.

    -This is the one that took the cake for me. It was pointed out that the panel was not interested in hearing numerous jazz solos when "we've heard solos by the very best." I had submitted a piece for nonet (6 horns with rhythm section) in traditional head-solos-head format where the form of the tune was unusually long. Three soloists had two choruses each, the first chorus alone with rhythm section, and the second chorus with horn section backgrounds. The content and development of these backgrounds represented perhaps the most significant compositional decisions I had to make with this music, and no small amount of creative work either. Thus, I was particularly upset at the possibility (implied, though who knows if this was the case for every submission) that the panel simply skipped ahead to the next track once the first solo went on for 30 seconds with no backgrounds. My suggestion, of course, was merely that they state this kind of preference in the guidelines, but that practical matter was of little solace here. If you're going to judge contemporary jazz compositions for large ensembles, you need to be willing to consider the composer's use and handling of improvised sections, even if we don't have access to "the very best" players in the world to execute them at the particular time we happen to be able to record them. It's like, shit man, sorry for being born! Then again, in "commercial" music, solos don't last very long, if they happen at all, so in a way, this kind of goes back to the previous item. (This is one reason I never reapplied, despite, as you'll see below, encouragement to do so. At this point, I realized that not only had my understanding of the application requirements been inadequate, but I probably was chasing an opportunity that had no use for me anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This experience has stuck with me in a lot of ways, but revisiting the actual thread brought back even more. One message from the AD ended:

    "I'm going into some detail here becasuse you were in the list of finalists, and took the time to answer. I'd appreciate it if you could offer some kind of suggestion that would describe [the program as we'd discussed it]...One more thing - do apply next year, and make a note to me about these letters.

    Hmm...

    In my final email message, I actually did try rewriting the guidelines according to what the AD had expressed both in the printed letter and in our email conversation. I didn't think I had done a very good job, so his response floored me (then and now):

    I'm printing and saving this. Watch for it in the next poster! Thanks again. Hope to hear from you next year.

    "Thanks for saving us a committee meeting, and don't forget to send in your $50...I mean your application again next year."

    Or am I being unfair? This was such an odd juxtaposition of exceptional willingness to engage and clear ulterior motives. Years later, I'm still not sure I know which way is up. I've seldom won anything from panels of composers and seldom lost when the panel is comprised of players. I've failed to make it out of pre-screening at one highly-regarded grad school and been accepted with financial support to another. Who really knows? It's a lottery.

    And yes, even if it's break, I had better get back to work now!

    ReplyDelete